Wednesday, May 28, 2003

every once in awhile one of my students will ask me about what kind of music i like. usually because i mention that i don't like music that is too commercial. i've rarely got a pat answer for them. when i was younger it was easier to answer such a question. i could just say alternative or underground music. but now that alternative is used to describe things like green day and linkin park it hardly suits what i listen to. also my musical taste has expanded much beyond the indie/goth/industrial stuff i used to listen to to include jazz, easy listening, spaceage pop, exotica and so on.

if i mention i like bossa nova at least a few of my students will understand as this music has become very popular to be played in cafes. but most students knowledge of music tends to be restricted to the terms jazz, techno, pop, heavy metal, and classical. most of the things i listen to don't really fall into these categories.

once i had a student surprise me and tell me he liked noise bands. i reccomended he give throbbing gristle and nurse with wound a listen. i'm not sure if he did or not though.

sometimes i may mention i like nakashi and i'll be met with either laughter or tears or complete horror. nakashi is similiar to japanese enka music(but more interesting to me than enka).

is it better that i don't know what to say when students ask me this question or would it be better to have a simple answer? maybe i should just describe my taste in music like my friend eric would describe it, off the deep end.